Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seriously?

Lately I've been fascinated with Sirius radio, especially some of their talk radio programming. The best and funniest is The Jay Thomas Show (remember Eddie LeBec from Cheers? Jerrry Gold from Murphy Brown? That's him.) One of the cool things about the show is that Jay is in the Sirius studios in LA, and a bunch of the staff are in the Sirius headquarters in New York. I have been thinking about how that works. I understand the technology allows for a seamless show, regardless of location, but have you ever been in a radio studio? There are a million people in the booth, producers, interns, more producers, people running the boards, people eating donuts, the whole shebang. I never knew that Jay was in LA while the others are in NY, so they are obviously making it work. Sirius uses space in a well-known recording studio in Hollywood, so I imagine they don't have a whole crew with them. Do you think Jay is alone out there, or are there a bunch of producers out there with him, bringing the donuts? I am on a mission to find out!

No comments: