Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who needs Craigslist anymore?!

As the summer fades toward autumn, advertisers on television and in print have started to change strategies and we're starting to see an increase in the number of ads for dating websites such as Match.com and eHarmony. Is this a coincidence? Absolutely not - 'tis the season to start looking for romance, and advertisers are not letting anyone off the hook. So I decided to do a little peeking, and checked out the king and queen of online dating. Match.com is the largest site with over 20 million members, according to their website, and caters to straight and gay dating. eHarmony is a Christian dating site, and thus it pairs straight couples who tend to share the same religious values. That would make it the queen and king, I guess. Both sites offer a similar guarantee that you will become partnered or you can renew again for free (I'd prefer my money back, but whatever, I'm married). There are many other sites that cater to specific types of dating: a personal favorite is Jew Glue ("where Jewish people schtick together"). I kid you not - click on it. But I have to say that I am completely freaked out by Ashley Madison, with over 2 million members (!!) and the slogan Life is short. Have an affair. I don't even know what to say to that, except...no, thanks.

No comments: